With everyone being a little more cautious in keeping things clean these days, today I thought I would share how I clean my makeup brushes. I know it seems like a simple thing, but when I worked in a beauty supply I cannot tell you how often people would ask what the best way to clean their brushes was.
You will need: Two small bowls, water, baby shampoo, and a towel. (If you don’t have baby shampoo just be sure your shampoo is a little moisturizing).
- Fill one small bowl with warm water. In the other small bowl, add a mix of water and shampoo. (More shampoo than water – the water is really just to thin it a bit.)
- Dip the bristles of a brush in the plain water and swish around a bit.
- Dip the brush into the soapy water and swish around.
- Swirl the soapy brush in the palm of your hand. You will see all of the makeup start to come out.
- Rinse well and squeeze the bristles in between two fingers making sure the water coming out is clear. If it isn’t, rinse until the water runs clear and squeeze the bristles again.
- Place on a towel to dry.
That’s it! Super easy isn’t it?
Typically, you should wash your brushes at least once a week. But, if you don’t have the time, every two weeks is fine. If you want to be extra cautious, you can even mix some rubbing alcohol with a little water, in a spray bottle, and spray each brush after daily use.