The holidays are right around the corner, and with them a little extra stress. All of the prepping, planning, and even the fun gatherings really take a toll on our bodies. So today I want to talk about adaptogens, specifically adaptogenic oils.
Adaptogens? What are they???
Adaptogens are natural substances, usually herbs, considered to help the body adapt to stress. Basically, they adapt to what your body needs on any given day. For instance, ashwagandha helps ease anxiety and insomnia, but also helps fight fatigue. (I won’t get into it any further, as I am not an herbalist, but you can read more about it here.)
What a lot of people don’t realize is that there are a number of essential oils that are adaptogenic as well. Here are a few of my favorites…
- Lavender – calming and soothing, reduces anxiety, and encourages balance throughout our body’s systems.
- Lemon – reduces tension, depression, and uplifts the spirit.
- Geranium – calms anxious feelings and restores vitality when depleted from stress.
- Sweet Orange – calms tension and anxiety, is emotionally uplifting.
- Ylang Ylang – Reduces stress, increases calmness, and encourages feelings of joy (and has one of the most beautiful aromas, in my opinion).
They are wonderful diffused in your home to support the whole family, or if you want all of the benefits for yourself, you can make a beautiful bath salt blend and soak away your stress. You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of anyone else, so you should definitely choose the relaxing bath. Lucky for you, I happen to have an easy recipe right here. Enjoy!
Bath Salts For Relaxation and Balance
- 4 ounces – Pink Himalayan Salt
- 2 ounces – Liquid castile soap OR jojoba oil (the oil will make your tub slippery, so be careful!)
- 7 drops – Lavender essential oil
- 3 drops – Ylang Ylang essential oil
- 2 drops – Vetiver essential oil*
In a small bowl, combine the essential oils with the castile soap OR jojoba oil, stir well. Next add in the salt. Stir all ingredients really well. Transfer your beautiful blend into a 4 ounce jar. Use 1 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) per bath. ***Be sure to rinse your tub really well after, as it may make your tub slippery***
* What’s with the Vetiver? It’s not on the list… Vetiver is very relaxing AND supports your immune system. When our bodies are stressed, our immune function is lowered. And you know what happens then… we get sick! So, I added the Vetiver for that extra immune support.
If you try the recipe let me know how you like it, I would love to hear!